What Is A Roughneck Derrickman? What Do They Do?

Most people interested in and seeking work in the oil fields of North Dakota and other areas don't have any experience and probably don't even know what type of jobs are available and what they do, or what a workday is like. Today were interviewing a buddy of mine who's worked on oil rigs who's going to give us a better idea of what a roughneck is, what specifically a Derrickman is and does and more.

What do you do for work?

I work the Derricks on an oil rig in western North Dakota.

In more detail how would you describe what you do?

If you have never worked on or been around rigs it's tough to explain. Basically we drill holes. It's not a job for everyone and be prepared for HARD work. I have to say however it's probably the funnest job/career I have ever had. It's also satisfying knowing the gas in your truck is from oil you personally drilled. It's also fun to see the look on others faces when I tell them what I do.

What exactly does the work entail?

We are hired by oil companies to drill holes in the ground to get fuels buried deep in the earths crust out of the ground. There's much more to it than that but were drilling holes over 20,000 feet deep. There's a status or heirarchy to a rig. It goes like this. Toolpusher is at the top of the cahin, he supplies the rig with whats needed to keep the rig running and make final decisions that can't be made by the crew or driller.


Below the toolpusher is the driller, he's basically the leader of the rig. He sits in a chair and runs how the company directs him to. The blame generally will fall on him if something bad happens.

Next comes the Derrickhand. A derrickhand monitors the mud pits, shakers, and mud pumps. He makes sure that everything is functioning right and corrects the problem if it isn't running correctly. He also treats the drilling fluid, known as mudd, with chemicals as the engineer directs him to.

Next is the motorhand. He is the toolpushers assistant or slave as we call ours. He does anything and everything the pusher or diller needs him to. He does paperwork, the generators, and he lines out the floorhands. Floorhands are the next position.

Floorhands are a jack of all trades. THey do it all. They help the derrickhand and motorhand with everything they need done. They keep the rig clean and orderly during drilling. It's the toughest and dirtiest profession. If your afraid of getting dirty stay away from this job.



What is a typical work week like for you?

The typical workweek is actually two weeks. You work for two weeks on and then you get two weeks off, it's a pretty sweet schedule if you ask me. Gives me time to travel, go home and visit family, or just relax. 

Basically, you never know hwat to expect at work. Sometimes the other crew has done a great job, othertimes you have a mess to clean up after them.

How did you get started in this job? Any advice for other newbies?

I was working in a machine shop actually building rigs for a drilling company. I had a good friend who wrked for the drilling company, he talked to some people for me and got me on a rig and now I'm here. It helps to have a connection put in a good word for you but it's not necessary.

What do you like about your job?

I love my job, especially compared to the floor wher its dirty and muddy everywhere and you have the driller yelling at you from the doghouse.  The mone isn't bad either.

It's really tough to explain it to you without being able to show you. Checkout some youtube videos and search for derrickman and you'll see what I mean.

 What do you dislike?

There's really nothing I hate about my job my on complaint would be I spend majority of my time over 1600 miles away from home. My family, friends, and hometown are something I miss. Other than that I love my job. I do enjoy the two week on and two week off schedule as I do have plenty of time to head home and spend time with my loved ones, however it's not the same as comming home from work to your family or grabbing a beer with a buddy afterwork.

How well is the pay?

Ahh, yes the reason most people want these jobs. Money depends on the job you do as well as which region you work. It seems like the further North you are the better the pay is. Texas pays well, North Dakota pays better, Canada and Alaska pay better than that. There is a lot of money to be made in oil fields. Anywhere from $50,000 into the six figure range. Everyone starts at the bottom and has to work their way up.


How much do you make as a Derrickman?

I'm currently making about $32 an hour working as a Derrickman in North Dakota. We do get some bonuses and we get a few extra hours a week for our safety meeting and other meetings. I'm in my early 20's and cleared 100k last year which is better than most people my age so I'm happy with my job and the pay.



No comments:

Post a Comment